| Home
Catherine Nemecek
Phone: (631) 741-1700   |  
West Islip
A principal hamlet of the Town of Islip (on Long Island), Islip is about 45 minutes east of New York City. The first people to settle the area more than a thousand years ago were the Secatogue Indians.
The unearthing of an Indian burial ground north of West Islip beach enabled historians to reconstruct a village of these Indians who lived along the edges of the Great South Bay, Sampawams Creek, Trues Creek and Willetts Creek.

One of the main Indian trails was Udall's Road which was the first road in Suffolk County to run north and south. It was named for the Richard Udall family who had an estate on South Country Road (now Montauk Highway). In the early 17th century, the West Islip area came under the influence of the Dutch. In 1664 it came under English rule when the Duke of York claimed Long Island with the permission of King Charles II.

In 1692 this land was purchased by Thomas and William Willetts through an agreement with the Secatogue Indians. These settlers found the area well suited for farming and hunting and the many waterways abundant with fish and shellfish. Since the Willetts owned most of West Islip, additional families did not arrive until late in the 1770s when parcels of land were sold to others. The tax rolls of 1757 only listed Willetts.
During the 19th century, the community became a popular haven of wealthy estate owners. Among these were the Magoun, Udall, Gerek and Smith families. Farming, charcoal production, lumbering and fishing were the main occupations. In the mid-19th century, the completion of the Long Island Rail Road brought travelers to West Islip and helped make the La Grange Inn a popular attraction. The inn had been established in the mid-18th century by the Higbie family.

Today West Islip is situated on over 4,000 acres and approximately 28,000 residents make West Islip their home.

Contact Catherine to Learn More

Input Your Information
* Name
* Email
Phone
Comment
Sitemap:

Logo
Winkler Real Estate
474 Montauk Highway • West Islip, NY 11795
Phone: (631) 741-1700 •



West IslipBayShore